CO2 from non-energy use of fuels: a global, regional and national perspective based on the IPCC Tier 1 approach
Based on the EDGAR 3.2 emission datasets, we present the relative importance of this source globally, regionally, and for individual countries as part of total fossil fuel-related emissions, based on the IPCC Tier 1 reference calculation using IEA/UN data for 1970–1995. Thus, we also show the trends of these shares as well as the type of non-energy source (chemical feedstock, industry in general, transport, other sectors) and the fuel type (solid, liquid, gaseous).
The share of CO2 from non-energy use (NEU) is increasing over time; globally from 1% in 1970 to almost 3% of total fossil fuel emissions of CO2 in 1995. Expressed as fraction of total CO2 emissions from the industry sector, the shares were about 4% in 1970, 7% in 1990 and 12% in 1995 for global total emissions. In most regions chemical feedstock emissions of CO2 have become increasingly important. The share of CO2 from feedstocks in total CO2 from NEU has increased globally from about 55% in 1970 to 65% in 1990 and even 80% in 1995. This large increase is largely responsible for the increasing share of total CO2 NEU emissions. With an uncertainty of the order of 10–30% in CO2 from NEU of oil products there should be ample room for improvement.
|Author(s)||Olivier JGJ ; Peters JAHW|
|Publication||Resour Conserv Recycling 2005; 45(3 spec.iss.)210-25|